History of Thunchan Memorial Trust & Research Centre
Thunchan Parambu suffered disuse and neglect for over three centuries. In 1906, on the 17th of October Vidwan Manavikraman Ettan Raja, the crown prince Zamorin called a meeting of eminent writers and social workers at Thunchan Parambu to consider ways of reviving the place. However, it was only in December 1954 when a committee was formed under the Chairmanship of Mr. K.P. Kesava Menon that the move took concrete shape. A black granite Mandapam and a small auditorium were built. The foundation stone was laid in December 1961 by Mr.Pattom Thanu Pillai who was the Chief Minister of the state. It is noteworthy that the buildings were inaugurated by the same eminent freedom fighter in January 1964. He was the Governor of Punjab then.
In 1964 the government formed a twelve member committee to manage Thunchan Parambu and to plan its further development. Gradually the place came to be widely known among Malayalis and it evolved into a cultural centre. In 1993 Mr. M.T. Vasudevan Nair took over as the Chairman of the committee, Mr. Kumaran Nair was the Secretary. In 2001, the government converted the Committee into a trust and granted substantial autonomy to it. The trust has seventeen Members. Mr. M.T. Vasudevan Nair is the Chairman.
The Thunchan Memorial is a cultural and research centre raised by the people of Kerala in honour of the most celebrated poet and cultural catalyst in the history of the Malayalam language. The institution is situated at the same location as the house and open-air school where the bard lived and taught in the 16th century.
Malayalees, had for long desired to preserve the memory of Thunchath Ezhuthachan by means of a befitting memorial. A conference of eminent writers and leaders of society was held on October 17,1906 to formulate a scheme for the construction of a memorial. It was the Samoothiri, the head of the former ruling family of Calicut, Vidwan Manavikrama Ettan Thampuran who took the initiative. This meeting itself was held in Thunchan Paramba.
Though it took some years to begin the construction of a memorial, the place itself won recognition and fame because of the meeting and people started celebrating Thunchan Day and Navarathri Festival.
Years later, in December 1954, a committee under the chairmanship of Late Mr.K.P. Kesava Menon was formed. The government helped the committee to acquire the land and Pattam Thanu Pillai, the then Chief minister of the state laid the foundation stone of the memorial. It was decided to construct a pavilion made of black Granite and a suitable place for preserving exhibits associated with Thunchath Ezhuthachan. In 1964 a committee with 11 members was formed to take charge of the memorial and worked for its further development.
The good work was continued over the years by committees headed by Late Sri. S.K.Pottekkat, Sri. T.N.Jayachandran and Sri. M.S.Menon.